Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

EXCERPTS from my new book, WITHOUT THE LAMPSHADE-How I Learned to Love my Brown Martini


The sales manager of this company [in Des Moines] came to Memphis to interview me, and he stayed at the Peabody Hotel where I worked in the basement for the TV station. I had to get into the hotel and up to his room without anyone seeing me. It took some finagling but I was able to get away without anyone knowing what I was doing. He was a great guy and we hit it off immediately and I was asked to come to Des Moines for another interview. In those days most of the planes landing there were DC-3s.

The minute I got off the airplane in this cold, desolate looking place I reached the conclusion that I didn’t want to be in Des Moines, Iowa. I was brought up in the South where the weather could be challenging but I would rather spend the rest of my life in Jackson, Tennessee than one day in Des Moines. I would also come to understand a saying passed around by this company’s alumni: “It’s a nice place to work if your family can afford to send you.”

Journey with me boozed up to sobriety in WITHOUT THE LAMPSHADE. It’s a trip on Amazon here.

No comments: