Search This Blog

Monday, February 18, 2008


BACK ON THE PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN TRAIL


I just received my new voter identification card, and, as many Arizonans, and those of you from other states as well, I am not listed as an “Independent” party voter like I wanted to be, but rather as a PND: “Party Not Designated.” Sounds like a sinus infection. This is not what I asked for, and the time has come for states to recognize the fact that there is a movement going on that signals the fact that people are not happy with the course of American politics, particularly the current two party system. It is Independent thinking individuals—35 to 42 percent of registered voters, by the way—who have come to the conclusion that neither Democrats nor Republicans represent his or her convictions, and they should be acknowledged correctly by voting officials. We are represented by the organization, Committee for a Unified Independent Party, and I suggest that any of you who are, or are leaning independent, visit their site. There’s a wealth of information there, and you can sign up for e-mails that will keep you up to date on the issues. On another similar front, I want to congratulate the AARP (Amer. Assn. Retired Persons) members of the state of West Virginia over their outcry for their state to pass a bill to notify consumers when their sensitive information has been compromised. 40 states already have. In an AARP vote, 90 percent said notification should be a legal requirement, according to an article in the Charleston Daily Mail. But here’s the kicker: 70 percent said they “would be likely to vote for a candidate supporting such a measure.” So why haven’t we seen at least a nibble from any presidential candidate on the identity crisis issue? I have written Clinton and Obama and expressed my concerns over the problem. Clinton didn’t even answer; Obama ignored my question, but has called and e-mailed repeatedly for campaign support. I even talked to someone here in Phoenix who put me in touch with Obama’s Arizona campaign head. An e-mail to him was not answered. I can see why Clinton beat Obama in Arizona. And then along comes a mailing from Howard Dean; Howard apparently likes me since he sends me so much mail, considering the fact that I have not been a registered Democrat for over a year. It’s another survey, the kind of which I have posted on before that asks all the questions except the one many in this country are focused on right now. “Am I interested in Congress passing a meaningful law that will protect all of us from identity theft?” the number one consumer complaint for the seventh year in a row, reported by the Federal Trade Commission? The survey covered the economy, immigration, the Iraq war, all of which are major issues. But isn’t over 8 million consumer victims from ID thieves in one year at least worth one question? I think so, but apparently no one cares.

No comments: